Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Review and Interview - Ethereal Fury by Jessica O'Gorek



Ethereal Fury (Gemini Rising, #1)BEWARE! THE PLANET IS WOUNDED... THE GEMINI ARE RISING AND OUR TIME ON EARTH IS LIMITED


Angry at the human race and its methodical destruction of her resources, Mother Earth recruits souls who have just left their bodies to serve Her, and turns them against humanity. Gemini, a clan of paranormal beings, picked from these possessed humans, emerges. A powerful, rising force proceeds to carry out Mother Nature’s plan to systematically destroy towns, cities, states… and eventually, the world. Amidst the chaos, a forbidden relationship between a human girl, Violette, and Onyx, a lead Gemini, begins. They will both find themselves in the middle of a revolutionary war that will either save, or destroy our world.









Whoa! I was so shocked by this book! Before reading it I knew that it wasn't going to be your typical paranormal book. But it was so different and I mean different in an awesome way. This book was unlike anything I've EVER read before!!!

Let me tell you why this book is so different. What do you guys think about Mother Nature? Do you think that she would be a sweet old lady or spirit with garlands and birds chirping around her? Well, the Mother Nature portrayed in Ethereal Fury is absolutely nothing like the sugary sweet image we all had in our minds. She is mean and merciless and after reading this book I am seriously going to recycle more. She is terrifying and her army of Gemini are even worse.

Gemini are pure evil. Remember the Arum in Jennifer Armentrout's Lux series, well the Gemini are Arum evil! However they work for Mother Nature and their job is to infiltrate and destroy. I don't want to give too much away but they are perceived as demons, the exorcist kind of demons and that's where the church comes in. It might sound weird that the church is involved, but that's where Jessica's amazing writing comes in. She makes it work.

The bishop is so annoying, I seriously hated him and Father Darius and even Slate. I just hated the power the church had over people in the district. And there was something seriously weird going on over there. I don't know what it is yet, but it was like the people in that area ate, read and breathed the bible all day long. That was their only pastime.

Onyx is really beautiful. Evil or not, he is so ethereal. He isn't your regular bad boy with a secret heart of gold. He is so bad that calling him a demon would actually be a compliment! However Violette, the pretty purple eyed girl gets to him and .... (read the book to find out what happens). But he is so hot! His evil-ness definitely adds to his appeal. And his eyes, his eyes are what got to me.

'The only color, other than the gray, were his eyes, which were blue irises of circling water, constantly moving and changing direction.'

I loved Violette, she was not one of those naïve heroines. She is smart and strong. She knows when things seem weird and she questions the motives of the church( I swear something creepy is going on there and I won't know what till the next book comes out!!!)  even when she was taught not to. She knows not to blindly accept and I loved that about her.

Jessica is an amazing author. And I'm pretty sure that her spot in the awesome authors list is being made right now, because only the best can pull of such ... evil cliff hangers and still make us love them. Her ideas are so brilliant that I find it hard to believe that this is her first book. I can't wait for book number two to come out. I seriously hope that it's in a few months, because I really can't wait for a whole year.

Rating : 4 stars

* A copy of this book was provided to me by the author, for an honest review.



So there is a special surprise for everyone today, well actually it isn't because it says interview on the top but... I have the fabulous and amazingly talented Jessica O'Gorek with me today!!!

INTERVIEW
 
 
1.So Jessica, I know you've probably been asked this question again and again but how did you come up with such an original concept (you know the whole Gemini thing)?
I wanted to create a combination of all the super heroes and paranormal beings I'd ever heard of make something new. I wanted them to have an actual purpose, a deep purpose that would hit a chord with today's teens and make them think deeply about what they can do for the environment that I didn't do when I was a teen. I pulled in my Native American heritage as well and the anger I felt in college when I found out what Columbus really did to them. I thought, what if I were Mother Earth and I watched the native, the humans that respected me get obliterated by another race who started to treat me horribly and without respect? 
  
 
2. Personally I prefer bad boys, and Onyx is as bad as they come. But it's weird because he's bad for a good cause. Anyway I wanted to know whether you prefer bad boys or good ones?
Absolutely bad boys. I wanted Onyx to take it to extremes and he sure does do that. One minute you love and the next you're like, "Um... I'm not so sure about this psycho..." 
 
 
3. For which book did you prefer the movie version? 
All the Twilight movies and only because of Rpattz.
 
 
4. Which of your own qualities did you impart onto your characters? 
Violette is like me when I was sweet and young and impressionable. Slate is not like me at all but Onyx is my male twin. I used to be a very angry person and have those terrible feelings of self doubt as well. They are really the only two in the book that I have anything in common with. Although, I may have a little bit of Lilly's wickedness in me. 
 
 
Rapid fire time!
      Chocolate or ice-cream? Chocolate
      Iron-man or super-man? Iron Man
      Favorite color? Black
      Onyx's favorite quality? His protectiveness of Violette.
      Slate or Onyx? And you have to pick!!! Please!!! Onyx is my favorite!!! 
 
Thank you so much Jessica and I hope I can have you here another time :)


1 comment: